Before you install VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi), you need to obtain the installation cd/iso. You can download it from here
Or visit www.vmware.com and click the Support and Download link there.
Once you obtain the ISO file, you can either burn a CD and install from it or mount the ISO as a install media if your server management console support it. (i.e. HP Blade server iLO management console interface)
1. Boot the Server from the VMware install CD/ISO. At the standard Boot Menu, just hit ENTER to choose the ESXi standard installer.
6. The installer will prompt you for the root password. Enter the password you prefer and hit ENTER to continue.
7. In the next screen, the installer will ask you to confirm the server installation. Press F11 to confirm and install.
8. After the installer finish copying files and configurating the server, it will ask you to hit the ENTER key to reboot. Hit the ENTER and the server will start rebooting. Be sure to remove the CD disc or disconnect the ISO image from the server.
11. At the System Customization screen, use the up/down arrow keys on your keyboard, scroll down to Configure Management Network and hit ENTER.
12. In the next screen, scroll to Network Adapters. Make sure the vmnic0 is listed. That is usually the server network interface that connects to the internet.
14. In the IP Configuration screen, select Set static IP address and network configuration. Then enter the IP Address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway based on the Welcome Email you received from Cybercon. Once that is done, press ENTER to save the settings and exit to the previous menu.
17. Once you finish entering the DNS information, press ENTER to save the setting and back to the main screen, then press the ESC key to exit to the Main menu.
18. The server may prompt you to confirm the new settings, Just press Y to apply the changes. That will restart the management network in the server as well.
20. In your Windows workstation, start the VMware vSphere client. If you do not have a vSphere client installed, you can download it from your server. Just go to https://
Once you install and have the vSphere client running, enter your server IP address or host name at the IP address / Name field. Log in with user name root and the password you created during the installation.
21. If the server pop up with a Security Warning window, just check the box next to Install this certificate and do not display any security warnings for …. and press the Ignore button.
22. At the main screen, the server will complaint about it does not have persistent storage, just click the link that say click here to create a datastore…
23. A new Add Storage pop up window should appear. For Storage Type, choose Disk/LUN and click Next.
26. In the next screen, the vSphere will display the Current Disk Layout, just click Next to continue.
28. For Maximum file size and capacitity of the datastore, select Maximum avaliable space and click Next.
30. Once you are back to the main screen, click the Configuration tab at the top follow by clicking the Licensed Features under Software link on the left. An Edit link should appear on the right now, Click the Edit… link to enter the license.
32. Enter the License Key you obtained from VMware or Cybercon. You can get a free license key from VMware (limited features) or purchase a License from Cybercon (VMware Professional Partner)