Before you install VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi), you need to obtain the installation cd/iso. You can download it from here
Or visit www.vmware.com and click the Support and Download link there.
Once you obtain the ISO file, you can either burn a CD and install from it or mount the ISO as a install media if your server management console support it. (i.e. HP Blade server iLO management console interface)
1. Boot the Server from the VMware install CD/ISO. At the standard Boot Menu, just hit ENTER to choose the ESXi standard installer.
2. At the VMware ESXi installation welcome screen, press ENTER to continue.
3. In the next screen, press F11 key on your keyboard to accept the license and continue.
4. If you server equipment with a USB flash drive, select it and hit ENTER.
5. Choose the default keyboard. i.e. US Default. Hit ENTER to continue.
6. The installer will prompt you for the root password. Enter the password you prefer and hit ENTER to continue.
7. In the next screen, the installer will ask you to confirm the server installation. Press F11 to confirm and install.
8. After the installer finish copying files and configurating the server, it will ask you to hit the ENTER key to reboot. Hit the ENTER and the server will start rebooting. Be sure to remove the CD disc or disconnect the ISO image from the server.
9. Once the server finish rebooting to the VMware ESXi main screen, press F2 to customize it.
10. Log in to the server as user root with the password you enter during the installation.
11. At the System Customization screen, use the up/down arrow keys on your keyboard, scroll down to Configure Management Network and hit ENTER.
12. In the next screen, scroll to Network Adapters. Make sure the vmnic0 is listed. That is usually the server network interface that connects to the internet.
13. Now, scroll down to IP Configuration and hit ENTER.
14. In the IP Configuration screen, select Set static IP address and network configuration. Then enter the IP Address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway based on the Welcome Email you received from Cybercon. Once that is done, press ENTER to save the settings and exit to the previous menu.
15. Now, scroll down to DNS Configuration and hit ENTER.
16. Enter the DNS Server information based on the Welcome Email you received from Cybercon.
17. Once you finish entering the DNS information, press ENTER to save the setting and back to the main screen, then press the ESC key to exit to the Main menu.
18. The server may prompt you to confirm the new settings, Just press Y to apply the changes. That will restart the management network in the server as well.
19. That should do it, Hit the ESC key again to log out from the server.
20. In your Windows workstation, start the VMware vSphere client. If you do not have a vSphere client installed, you can download it from your server. Just go to https:// and download it from there.
Once you install and have the vSphere client running, enter your server IP address or host name at the IP address / Name field. Log in with user name root and the password you created during the installation.
21. If the server pop up with a Security Warning window, just check the box next to Install this certificate and do not display any security warnings for …. and press the Ignore button.
22. At the main screen, the server will complaint about it does not have persistent storage, just click the link that say click here to create a datastore…
23. A new Add Storage pop up window should appear. For Storage Type, choose Disk/LUN and click Next.
24. From the Select Disk/LUN screen, click the local disk and click Next.
25. For File System Version, choose VMFS-5 and click Next.
26. In the next screen, the vSphere will display the Current Disk Layout, just click Next to continue.
27. For the datastore name, you can enter any name. i.e. localstore. Click Next after that.
28. For Maximum file size and capacitity of the datastore, select Maximum avaliable space and click Next.
29. In the next screen, click the Finsh button to finish the process.
30. Once you are back to the main screen, click the Configuration tab at the top follow by clicking the Licensed Features under Software link on the left. An Edit link should appear on the right now, Click the Edit… link to enter the license.
31. Select Assign a new license key to this host and press the Enter Key button.
32. Enter the License Key you obtained from VMware or Cybercon. You can get a free license key from VMware (limited features) or purchase a License from Cybercon (VMware Professional Partner)
33. Once you enter the License key, everything is set. Now you should be able to create your Virtual Machines from within the vSphere client.